Summer In Your Sixties & Seventies (or any age!)
Do you like to spend the hot summer days cooped up in your house?! Me either! Here are a few ideas to mix it up and have an enjoyable time!
1. Try a new restaurant. There are a lot of mom and pop restaurants that serve delicious food! Try one out, go somewhere new!
2. Plan a movie night. At the theater, a community outdoor movie night, in your back yard, your living room, whatever works for you! Pop some popcorn, buy your favorite candy, and make a fun night out of it!
3. Yard Sales - One man's junk is another man's treasure! Some pretty amazing things can be found at yard sales that you just can't find anywhere else- and at an amazing price. The best days are Fridays and Saturdays, and the earlier the better.
4. Senior Center- If you haven't already, look up your local senior center. Find a calendar of their activities, find one you like, and go! You can make new friends and have an enjoyable time.
5. Go to a local park. Have a picnic, or feed the ducks! Often times there is a park in driving distance that has a pond of some sort with ducks floating along. No matter your age, it is fun to feed ducks. Bring along a picnic lunch, find some shade, and enjoy!
6. Farmer's Markets - One of life's treasures is finding those farmer's markets are taking home fresh, organic produce. And don't get me started on the bread vendor... mm, mm, mmmmm! Just take the 5 for $20, you won't regret it!
7. Take a yoga class - Learn some new stretches, relaxation, and improve your energy.
8. Visit a museum - In most towns, if you look, you will find a museum of some sort. Where I live there is an art museum, a mountain discovery center with live animals, an airplane museum, museum of photography, a railway museum, western science museum, and more! Look them up and try one out!
9. Play Bingo with friends! Or grandkids! Bingo is fun at all ages!
10. Start a garden - You may be the world's greatest gardener, or have a brown thumb like me, but there are a lot of things to grow in the summer! Tomatoes, bell peppers, onions, zucchini, squash, and more! You don't need a lot of space or great soil, gardening can be done it pots on a porch.
11. Start (or join) a book club! If you love to read, start a book club! You can have fun gatherings with friends, snacks and good conversation about something you are all familiar with!
12. Volunteer - There are many ways and places to volunteer in your community: libraries, hospitals, movie theaters, just to name a few! Your presence will be a gift to those around you. You might even luck out and get to be a reader for children's books at a library! (Well, that is, if you like children).
13. Exercise - Join a gym, water aerobics, weight lifting, or just go for a walk. The fresh air and outdoors is good for the spirit.
14. Learn a new skill - There are so many options here! Learn to cook, sew, play an instrument, photography, learn a new language, learn the cha-cha, learn how to change a tire, CPR, the options are unlimited! If you consider video games a skill- go play some Fortnite and find out what all the rage is about. You just might find yourself kicking some 13 year-old's butt at Fortnite online! Maybe he'll even "friend" you! Find something interesting to you, and go for it. NO matter the age, learning new things keeps your mind fresh and alert.
15. Last but not least, plan an ice cream social! Get together with some friends, get some ice cream and yummy toppings, and have fun! Play Go-fish, Old Maid, or if you really know your stuff, Poker!
Life is too short to be bored, go out and make your own fun!